The double origin of the Hydrobiology Pôle
In 1964, the ministry in charge of agriculture and its direction with the National Forestry Commission proposed that the new INRA institute take charge of the continental hydrobiology station which had been functioning in Biarritz since 1954. It was initially located in the existing buildings of Plateau de l’Atalaye. Then, in the late 60’s, INRA was built in Biarritz and also acquired the Ibarron mill and the surrounding land in the Saint-Pée sur Nivelle area. At this time the research was related to salmonids’ ecosystems and population ecology.
Since 1965, a small team at the INRA centre in the Paris area has studied the genetics and physiology of the reproduction and nutrition of fish.
In 1977, the Biarritz station merged completely with the Saint-Pée sur Nivelle site. It is also joined by part of the op-cited team at Jouy-en-Josas.
The resulting manpower exceeds more than 50 budget posts.
In 2002, we celebrated the 25th anniversary of INRA at the Saint-Pée site.
Today the station maintains a double role in the management and development of aquatic resources.
It has transformed and modernised all its experimental tools. Its research themes have evolved and after numerous collaborations and partners, it has become a particularly important formation centre. Two labs have been created, involving also the Pau et des Pays de l’Adour and Bordeaux 1 universities, as well as IFREMER. The research station now has an international recognition.
Among the fureture perspectives, an extension of the buildings with extra facilities is planned for 2009, dedicated to molecular biology.